Tri
0 (0%)
0 (0%)
no u
3 (75%)
YES
1 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Author Topic: Monster Hunter Tri  (Read 9019 times)

Offline Raiyon

• Sprout
    • http://www.youtube.com/ryancstube
Monster Hunter Tri
« on: April 26, 2010, 12:10:50 PM »
For the Wii. Anyone play it? It came out a week ago.

Online on the NTSC version..

Me
User: Raiyon
ID: AE46UM

Brandeath
User: Haseo
ID: MP5223

Turtiwig/Josh
User: Knosh
ID: E1CMEX

Nagase
User: Nagase
ID: L1XLL3
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 06:58:25 PM by ryanskim »

Offline Nagase

• Young Tree
Re: Monster Hunter Tri
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 01:20:16 PM »
This is the game I have been waiting for to get the dust off my Wii. Once I make sure it's in working condition (hard to say when it's plugged in and untouched for over a year lol) I will post my ID too.

Sooo... how is it?

<3 Lights!

Offline Raiyon

• Sprout
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 03:08:58 PM »
It's really fun mainly for the boss battles, but the massive amount of armors/items/weapons and small yet useful effects/buffs are also just so great. Online play is awesome, you can plug in a usb keyboard to the back of the Wii and use that for typing messages. I recommend it for anyone with a Wii. The bosses get pretty tough at times though hahaha but that's the fun of it.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 12:37:14 PM by ryanskim »

Offline Nagase

• Young Tree
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 09:40:01 PM »
What about the other parts of the game that's not hunting for bad ass monsters? Stuff like fishing and plants gathering, those seem really slow and tedious...

<3 Lights!

Offline Epyon

• Sapling
  • Oho~
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 05:13:03 AM »
:( GET FREEDOM UNITE

Offline Epyon

• Sapling
  • Oho~
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 05:16:59 AM »
What about the other parts of the game that's not hunting for bad ass monsters? Stuff like fishing and plants gathering, those seem really slow and tedious...

That's part of the experience but yes, it does get tedious. Especially when you need a damn high rank ore or fish. But trust me, it isn't as brain-numbing as RO. It's a lot more fun. The replay value and the feeling you get from accomplishments are off the charts, and what makes the MH series shine.

Offline Nagase

• Young Tree
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2010, 11:19:48 AM »
Well I'm giving a try, but I just hope the beginning doesn't take too long to get through to the good stuff. TBH if this is a solo experience then I will probably hesitate. From watching some videos though, the good stuff is REALLY good.

<3 Lights!

Offline Raiyon

• Sprout
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2010, 12:47:03 PM »

Fishing is the only thing I don't like.. the fish are like robots. Gathering's alright, they made the spots easily noticeable and it's really fast if you get the speed gathering armor skill.

Oh and there's a farm in town where you can harvest mushrooms, herbs, and such.

http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/Monster_Hunter_Wiki
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 06:59:19 PM by ryanskim »

Offline Epyon

• Sapling
  • Oho~
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2010, 07:32:47 PM »
Well I'm giving a try, but I just hope the beginning doesn't take too long to get through to the good stuff. TBH if this is a solo experience then I will probably hesitate. From watching some videos though, the good stuff is REALLY good.

You can always choose to go on ahead and play online with folks. It's just a matter of preference, but I'll tell you one thing, many folks who've played the game prefer soloing first before heading online. They prefer stock and gear up first before joining on the higher-ranked hunt missions, and so forth. It's a lot better to learn the basics and learn from experience first, I'd say. MH isn't about rushing through, trust me.

Offline Nagase

• Young Tree
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2010, 11:25:48 PM »
Played it for a few hours, hate the controls (and graphics... got spoiled with the PS3) but otherwise it's pretty addicting. The beginning is really boring though. Will post my info once I get a few more hours into it and try online.

<3 Lights!

Offline draconuszero

• Sprout
  • ^-- <3
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2010, 05:08:17 AM »
IMO it might be best to play with others after getting some experience with the system.  Also usually the first boss of a specific type will generally be the one many other boss types will have moves from.  In MH 1/2, Yian Kut-Ku's moves are used by other bird wyeverns and almost every boss uses YKK's tail whip attack.  Cephalos uses the hip check which all other piscenes and others use (HATE HATE HATE PLESIOTH).  Congalala's moves are used by Blangonga and the dreaded Rajang. 

Of course most of these monsters are not in Tri minus Rathalos and a few others, but they will have new moves and looks that will cause much ragequitting.  Of course Epy if he ever gets a Wii will be happy if Rajang or Fatalis or their equivalents will be in Tri through DLC.  I'll just be waiting for the slim if not nil chance of Frontier arriving Stateside, since I'd rather have a PC-based online version of Monster Hunter >.>.

Offline Epyon

• Sapling
  • Oho~
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2010, 12:46:51 PM »
Played it for a few hours, hate the controls (and graphics... got spoiled with the PS3) but otherwise it's pretty addicting. The beginning is really boring though. Will post my info once I get a few more hours into it and try online.

I remember when I was cursing up storms when I was trying to adapt to the controls. Be happy that it isn't the PSP you have play with, be very happy.

And I don't even know why you're even complaining about the graphics, for Pete's sake. It's a damn Wii and for a Wii game, MH3 is the most visually stunning game to date on that silly platform.

Of course most of these monsters are not in Tri minus Rathalos and a few others, but they will have new moves and looks that will cause much ragequitting.  Of course Epy if he ever gets a Wii will be happy if Rajang or Fatalis or their equivalents will be in Tri through DLC.  I'll just be waiting for the slim if not nil chance of Frontier arriving Stateside, since I'd rather have a PC-based online version of Monster Hunter >.>.

That's a reason why I didn't bother to get a Wii a few weeks back. The only reason why I wanted one was for MH3 and that alone. I really doubt there will be a MH3G for Wii since the core audience isn't even with Nintendo, to begin with. I also doubt there will be DLC content for Tri since I've yet to see any worthy DLC for any games for the Wii, period. Of course, time will tell.

Once MH Freedom 3 comes out for the PSP.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 01:00:33 PM by Epyon »

Offline Nagase

• Young Tree
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2010, 01:13:00 PM »
I hate the camera, it's so much work to rotate it after you have turned around and is facing the other way, which is basically what you have to do after every couple attacks. But kinda getting used to that and the controls, and the ridiculously slow movements with a BS.

I got used to the low res. graphics by now though haha, it's beautiful for a Wii game, but it's still a Wii game. I wouldn't get a Wii just for one game, but there's a couple of nice Wii games like the main Mario series and Zelda. And well, to me a Wii is for parties, can't really have one without a Wii at this day and age. (That and poker! lol)

<3 Lights!

Offline Epyon

• Sapling
  • Oho~
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2010, 01:34:35 PM »
Yeah, the camera can be a pain sometimes but you'll get use to it. Now imagine what that's like on the PSP.

As for the graphics, wait until you switch scenes into the volcanic, desert, and even the water bouts!

I have a GC already, and many of them were ported over to the Wii anyway (ie, Twilight Princess and Metroid Prime; just to name a few). I said that only because there isn't any other games on the Wii that I'm really interested in. Well, there was Muramasa but that's only because I love Vanillaware's games. Maybe once the new Zelda is released, I might change my mind. Or even when they decide to release the Lime Green Wii that I remember seeing once.

Offline Raiyon

• Sprout
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2010, 01:57:41 PM »
As for the graphics, wait until you switch scenes into the volcanic, desert, and even the water bouts!
The view from the first camp up at the waterfall & sun look amazing.

Offline Epyon

• Sapling
  • Oho~
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2010, 02:47:01 PM »

RYAN, UPLOAD GAMEPLAY FOOTAGE!

Offline Nagase

• Young Tree
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2010, 05:11:15 PM »

But when you compare that to FF13's Sunleth Waterscape...

I know I know, I'm not bashing the graphics. I'm just bashing Wii's capabilities compared to the competition. :P No one plays Wii games or MH for the graphics anyway. MH on the PS3 or the 360 is so promising though.

<3 Lights!

Offline Nagase

• Young Tree
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2010, 05:32:11 PM »
How do I find people in this game? I tried searching for your names and IDs but with no results. Does everyone have to be online?

<3 Lights!

Offline Raiyon

• Sprout
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2010, 07:35:17 PM »
Did you get the PAL or NTSC version? The player search thing searches for people online I think, but you can compose a message to someone & friend request even if they're off.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 07:38:34 PM by ryanskim »

Offline Nagase

• Young Tree
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2010, 10:49:45 AM »
NTSC

I will try sending you a message, my name is Nagase on there if you wanna send me one too. Forgot the ID though, will check later.

<3 Lights!

Offline draconuszero

• Sprout
  • ^-- <3
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2010, 01:36:10 PM »
Does it have the issue with the camera going crazy when you are by a wall?

Offline Nagase

• Young Tree
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2010, 03:31:46 PM »
That was fun, I need to mooch off you more. =P

Btw texting and searching players doesn't work when the player is offline unfortunately. Also can't text them when they are in a quest I think. At least I tried and couldn't text you before you found me. Damn Ryan getting all the crazy gears and ranks already lol.

<3 Lights!

Offline Raiyon

• Sprout
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2010, 10:01:34 PM »
RYAN, UPLOAD GAMEPLAY FOOTAGE!
I would if it was as easy as recording on the PC lol.

The camera doesn't seem to go crazy, but what do you mean by crazy?

That was fun, I need to mooch off you more. =P

Btw texting and searching players doesn't work when the player is offline unfortunately. Also can't text them when they are in a quest I think. At least I tried and couldn't text you before you found me. Damn Ryan getting all the crazy gears and ranks already lol.
You did pretty good at that Royal Ludroth run, did you play other MHs?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 10:08:43 PM by ryanskim »

Offline Epyon

• Sapling
  • Oho~
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2010, 05:18:29 AM »

He's talking about the PSP version. Sometimes, when you're at a wall or corner, it becomes really hard to reposition the camera. It's as if something's in the way so it can result in deaths.  :-\ Or when the monsters launch and kick around to the corner.

Offline draconuszero

• Sprout
  • ^-- <3
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2010, 08:59:34 AM »
Many monsters also have a walltrap preference AI so yeah...  *Glares at the ykk/los/ian types*  Either that or Capcom hates us all.  Still want MHFrontier though >.>

Offline Raiyon

• Sprout
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2010, 11:39:41 AM »

He's talking about the PSP version. Sometimes, when you're at a wall or corner, it becomes really hard to reposition the camera. It's as if something's in the way so it can result in deaths.  :-\ Or when the monsters launch and kick around to the corner.
Oh I see. I haven't come across any dire problems with the camera except for the fact that it needs constant repositioning. It's become second nature though so lol.

Offline Epyon

• Sapling
  • Oho~
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2010, 02:07:34 PM »
Many monsters also have a walltrap preference AI so yeah...  *Glares at the ykk/los/ian types*  Either that or Capcom hates us all.  Still want MHFrontier though >.>

Oh god, oh man. There's also Tigrex/Naruga too. They'll rush at you while you're at a wall or corner then after the attack, continue to spam attacks long enough to get you killed...while you're getting up.

For Ryan if he's wonder what those monsters are:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LACpXFK3Gko&fmt=18[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSOi1GizEco&fmt=18[/youtube]

Don't worry, Ryan, you get Barioth, which is an ice-like Sabertooth version of both.

Offline Nagase

• Young Tree
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2010, 02:49:29 PM »
Royal Ludroth is pretty easy, probably cuz it doesn't do any fire-based attacks and it's not that quick. Qurepeco on the other hand, I still struggle with sometimes (still 1 beak to go goddammit). But everything is easier now that I got a sword with green sharpness lol.

And no, this is my first MH, and it's pretty fun. I thought I sucked at this game but after playing with some random people online, seems like I'm okay lol. Online play is a blast but sometimes everyone else doesn't talk and you are stuck with wondering who took the trap and tranq, and why isn't he using it already... the pain.

<3 Lights!

Offline draconuszero

• Sprout
  • ^-- <3
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2010, 05:12:59 PM »
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqo0hnHhmE8[/youtube]  hoverhax and naruga moves.  Also saw the Kushala Daora flyingswing attack...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZE4Fh_H8F8[/youtube]  Also a monster that you'll prolly not see, Rajang.    

Subtlety was never Capcom's strong point.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 05:14:21 PM by draconuszero »

Offline Epyon

• Sapling
  • Oho~
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2010, 05:26:32 PM »
HIPCHECK

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybpkV2m4R1g&fmt=18[/youtube]

Note: It really isn't laggy like this in-game.

Offline Nagase

• Young Tree
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2010, 11:18:11 AM »
It's too bad not more yggians play this. Such a good party game... and I bet most RO players would love it. =/ It's like RO cept you do MVP runs like 90% of the time haha. And skills > gears so even undergeared players can do okay if they know their stuff.

Ryan do you know anyone else from ygg who plays it other than us 4?

<3 Lights!

Offline Raiyon

• Sprout
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2010, 05:43:18 PM »
@epy: Yeah Barioth is such a beast. I fought it and it really is a lot like those.
@dmx: lol @ Rajang fusion, that's insane.
Ryan do you know anyone else from ygg who plays it other than us 4?
Nope :\

I saw some Wiis for ~$150 & 94%+ positive ratings @ amazon if anyone was interested.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0009VXBAQ/ref=sr_1_1_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1273027034&sr=8-1&condition=used
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 05:44:47 PM by ryanskim »

Offline Epyon

• Sapling
  • Oho~
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2010, 08:39:49 PM »
Lol... It doesn't exactly fuse in-game but Rajang is considered to be Goku or a SSJ when it rages. Hence the gold fur + kamahameha wave + spirit bomb + and when you cut its tail, it stops going SSJ!

Oh, and there's this. SSJ2 Rajang:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbpmK-kgX8c&fmt=18[/youtube]

Real men fight with melee weapons, though. Level 1 bone weapons.

Offline draconuszero

• Sprout
  • ^-- <3
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2010, 03:49:03 AM »
Epy: lvl1 bone weapons vs Fatalis?  Vids Pl0x.  

Ryan: There were various gameplay vids that had DBZ SFX in rajang battles as well as Goku clips whenever Rajang went rage mode.  It used the Japanese voice obviously.  I'd put up links, but they are on a Japanese site that requires registration to view.

My rajang knowledge is a bit rusty, but it only has the electric aura in the grank permarage form right?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 03:56:26 AM by draconuszero »

Offline Nagase

• Young Tree
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2010, 11:17:22 AM »
hey Ryan, and other people with MH experience:

What's your usual step for quest prep?

Like, right now, I have a meal in town to boost HP + other stats, and then I take rations till max stamina.

Are there any other useful (but cheap/easily accessible) items that's good to use for harder quests? Say... hunting horn?

<3 Lights!

Offline Raiyon

• Sprout
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2010, 11:32:45 AM »
Ahaha that reminds me of the Oozaru forms of the Saiyans from DBZ:

They also shoot beams out of their mouths.

@Nagase:
Usually:
10 Mega Potions
10 Potions
2 Max Potions (sets HP to max & heals)
10 Antidotes
20 Whetstones
Spit (easy to get raw meats if needed)
Powerstone(?) (the one that adds attack)
The defense stone

and on harder quests I also bring:
10 Blue Mushrooms
10 Herbs
10 Honeys
..which makes 10 more Mega Potions :B
2 Trap Tools
2 Nets
2 of those bugs that make a shock trap

I see some uses for the hunting horn:
-Saving a partner in danger
-Luring to a trap
-Calling monsters out of the water (It worked before)

Getting all these materials is pretty easy, especially the ones that you can multiply using the farm. Also try for upgrades on the ships, I seriously got 50k in about an hour or two selling the loots they bring when they have 3 or 4 stars.  :D
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 11:45:59 AM by ryanskim »

Offline draconuszero

• Sprout
  • ^-- <3
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2010, 01:16:59 PM »
^-  What he said.  If there are ancient powders or party-healing items, bring those as well.  If there are farcasters or item(s) that allow one to return to camp from wherever bring those as well and maybe smoke/flashbombs if those items exist.  I dunno about item combos in mh3 so I cannot add any more.

Other advice: play singleplayer just to see what patterns the various boss monsters have.  If you are a bit lacking in reflexes, do not bring slow weapons (GS/Hammer/Lances) against fastmoving enemies.  Also, respect distractioncat.

On a side note, are there any missions where you have to defend a town/castle/fortress?  Those were some of the most entertaining missions IMO, since you can use cannons and the Dragonator.

Area defense here:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TH7M2bXLg1E&feature=related[/youtube]   

Also, the epitome of Epy's nightmares in MH:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUzNbl8zZOM[/youtube]

Offline Nagase

• Young Tree
« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2010, 01:28:27 PM »
lol yea I will grind out some single player during the day when no one is online to play with, just saw those treasure loots and one sell for 10k. $_$ Online is easier though (so far) since there's a lot more time to use pots/sharpen when the boss's attention is divided into 4.

Do you usually use the powerstone and defense stone? Even the easier quests? I have never used them yet. Not sure how to make them either, will check wiki... haven't been using bombs or traps much either though that will probably change once I learn more about the mechanics.

Extra mushrooms/herbs/honey is a good idea, will do that too. :D
Otherwise everything else is the same here too, cept I also carry well done meat x10. Just in case. And yea I also carry a farcaster in case I nub it out haha... never had to use 1 yet.

<3 Lights!

Offline Epyon

• Sapling
  • Oho~
« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2010, 03:32:25 PM »
Before party quests, I usually bring:

4 Combo Books (Lvl. 1-4. Dunno if this is available in Tri, though. This raises combination success rate.)
10 Potions
10 Mega Potions
2 Max Potions
1 Ancient Potion (Restores and maximizes HP+Stamina)
10 Well-done/Gourmet Steak
3 Lifepowders (It heals all players on the same map; same heal amount as Mega Potion)
10 Life Crystal + 10 Wyvern Claw (To make more Powders!)
2 Trap Tools
2 Net or Genprey Fang (It maybe different for Shock Traps or even Pitfalls in Tri.)
1 Shock/Pitfall Trap

Optional (but can save your life):
Demon/Mega Demondrug (Raises your attack. I forget if it was medium or large. Lasts the entire mission or upon death.)
Armor/Mega Armorskin (Same as above but for defense.)
10 Power Seeds (Raises attack by a small amount but doesn't last too long.)
Powerpill(s) (Raises your attack sharply and stacks with every other attack buff you have but lasts for about 10 seconds.)
10 Herb + Blue Mushrooms (For more pots or just the Herbs to save up for future Pot use.)
10 Honey (For Megas)
5 Power/Mega Juices (Prevents stamina from decreasing, for a certain period of time; Mega > Power)

Most of these items require that you need money and resources, so hunt and use at your own leisure. I usually save them up for the more higher rank missions, but if you're a baller, then by all means.

And I believe you guys are talking about flutes, right? Because this is a Hunting Horn:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU2USuU7CGo[/youtube]

The staple party buffer which is sadly not in Tri.

@D - You're referring to Super Rajang. Regular Rajang reverts back to Black Rajang when it's calm, whilst Super Rajang is already in Rage/SSJ mode normally. When Super Rajang rages, it's fur raises up more dynamically and there are electrical currents pulsing around it's body.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 08:30:23 PM by Epyon »

Offline Epyon

• Sapling
  • Oho~
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2010, 07:53:54 AM »
@ D - Yeah, I think there's Jhen Mohran, a giant sand alligator of sorts and Ceadeus, a whale. I think that's it.

:\ Sucks that Tri only has a handful of Elder Dragons.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsL_8Xne_Cg&fmt=18[/youtube]

:25 RESPEK KNUCKLES

Edit: I forgot Farcasters, too! Bring those if you ever want to head back to camp or if you're ever in a pickle.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 07:57:33 AM by Epyon »