Author Topic: 3DS  (Read 1876 times)

Offline Donka

• Sapling
3DS
« on: April 15, 2011, 11:51:04 AM »
So I got one last week for my birthday, and I would like to take some time to review it for those of you who are thinking of getting it :)

I'll start off with the hardware. The 3DS is a pretty powerful little thing, though not quite as powerful as Sony's NGP will be (the power difference seems to be about as much as the original DS and PSP, so we'll see how that goes). The 3D feature is pretty amazing, although I do find myself turning it off pretty often. I dont get any nausea like some people have reported, but I do feel my eyes getting tired after using it for a while. The battery life isnt very good, especially when compared to the DSlites and DSIs. There are plenty of 3rd party hardware that are supposed to help out, but thats more money that you'd have to invest into your already $250 system. The little analog stick thing is pretty awesome. I was skeptical about how I'd be able to play SSF4 on it, but it handles pretty damn good. I kinda wish they'd added a second stick on the right side for possible shooters in the future, but oh well. The cameras are cool, but I'm not much into taking pictures, so I cant really say much about them. 

As far as software goes, the system comes with a few neat things. First off, you have the mii plaza, which picks up mii's from other people you pass by that happen to have 3DS's with them (the system has to be in sleep mode). So far the best places that I've gone to are malls and school campuses. Here's a video that does a pretty good explanation of how it works
http://kotaku.com/#!5790864/the-perfect-nintendo-3ds-experience-a-street-pass-bonanza-with-a-cameo-appearance-by-a-real-shark
Another game is Face Raiders, where you basically take pictures of your face or your friend's faces, and they fly around you and you have to point your device at them and shoot them. Pretty fun, but the movement I imagine might make you dizzy if you have the 3D turned all the way up.
The Augmented Reality games are my favorite feature of the stock game on the system. You put down these little playing cards on a table or desk or whatever you have, and they pop out. Only one of the cards has an interactive game on it though. But the game is pretty fun.

As far as games go, the launch titles arent all that great. I have 3. Pilotwings, which is pretty fun but short. I already finished it, and while I could go back and get all the bonuses I missed or get perfect scores on all the levels, I really dont want to. It doesnt help that all levels are in the same location, just different times of day. Steel Diver is pretty interesting, although I admit I havent played very much. Super Street Fighter 4 3D is a pretty impressive port. I'll admit I'm a little biased since I'm a sucker for street fighter games, but man. I really didnt expect this game to play so well on a handheld. And the online portion of this version is arguably better than the console versions. Top that off with figure collecting and those said figures battling people you pass by while your system is in sleep mode, and I can pretty much say this is the most solid launch title of them all.

That's not to say the system is all it's cracked up to be. Many of its promised features  are not available yet. I was looking forward to using the virtual console, but that doesnt go live until late May. So I have to wwait until then to get my Link's Awakening 3D :( and many of the system's online capabilites wont go live until "a future firmware update", so it kinda feels like they shipped an unfinished product. Top that off with many good games not being released till June (I'm looking at YOU, Ocarina of Time and Starfox 64) and I can say that it would probably be a good idea to wait a little while before getting it. That's not to say that I regret getting it. I love my 3DS, I just can NOT wait to get these things in my hand :D

Offline Donka

• Sapling
Re: 3DS
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 11:53:08 AM »
oh. and if anyone has one already, my friend code is 1418-6736-3828

Did I happen to mention that you only need one friend code per system? none of that on friend code per game bullshit like the wii! Nintendo is learned something :O

Offline Relakuyae

• Administrator
  • Tree
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 09:11:07 AM »
Nintendo hasn't learned enough though.  They need to revamp their entire online model, what they have now is still retarded.

Offline Donka

• Sapling
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 03:04:57 PM »
The fact that they have the ability to update the firmware means they could revamp their model should they choose to. I'll admit, knowing nintendo, it's highly unlikely. Hopefully their next console, which is rumored to be unveiled at E3, will finally give nintendo fans a top of the line online experience. And maybe less focus on motion controls???? :D

Offline Relakuyae

• Administrator
  • Tree
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2011, 12:02:37 AM »
Damn it, if they unveil their new console then it almost certainly will mean Skyward Sword won't come out on Wii.

Offline Donka

• Sapling
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2011, 05:21:28 PM »
I think skyward sword is definitely being released this year on the wii. I'm not entirely sure, but I'm fairly sure I read it somewhere. If it doesn't though, I'd be happy with an HD Zelda :)