Author Topic: E3 !!  (Read 1513 times)

Offline Donka

• Sapling
E3 !!
« on: June 11, 2011, 10:52:20 pm »
So E3 happened. What are everyone's thoughts!?

Im most amazed by nintendo. Wii U, while having a really dumb name, looks like it could be amazing in my opinion. That's if it's handled well, though. Let's hope it doesnt rake in all the shovelware. I am a little worried about the long term situation though. Nintendo is entering the next console really early, and its new console is only about as powerful as the current ones from it's competitors. So when Sony and Microsoft happen to unleash their own beasts, they'll probably be much much more powerful. While nintendo does have plenty of time to make it's sales (assuming people want to fork over however much the console is priced at)

Offline Relakuyae

• Administrator
  • Tree
Re: E3 !!
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2011, 11:23:53 pm »
Microsoft isn't even bothering with their next console for about another 3-4 years, unfortunately.  When it comes to PS, I'm honestly surprised it survived the PSN outage.

I'm somewhat disappointed with the Wii U.  It's just a gimmick, and a lame one at that.  It'd be far more impressive if it could use 4 of the screen controllers at once, but alas it can only ever use one at a time in combination with the other remotes.  Which makes it practically worthless for anything other than single player and their few demo games they showed off.

Also, Nintendo seems to still have their head firmly up their ass when it comes to online play.  It's far easier to get friends together over XBL/PSN and play a game together than for everyone to gather up and play on the same console at someone's house.  Why Nintendo insists on this "in-home play" bullshit is beyond anyone's guess, but it's obviously not the route the rest of the gaming world is going.

I wouldn't even go so far as to say that it doesn't matter because it's Nintendo and they'll sell either, as the 3DS has yet to really make it big in the game market (though their re-re-release of zelda: orcarina of time may change that).  The problem with Nintendo is Nintendo itself.  They have a bad tenancy to drive away developers with draconian development rules and at the rate they've been going it wouldn't surprise me if the only good games you can get on their systems are the ones they make in-house.  Oh wait!  That's pretty much exactly how it is right now!  People buy their systems primarily for 3 reasons.  Mario, Zelda, and Metroid... and they totally blew it on Other M.

Now I'm not saying that Nintendo is going to go away, not by a long shot.  They have literally buckets of cash banked and are in no real danger of going the way of the dodo.  However, if they don't actually start playing ball seriously, I wouldn't at all be surprised to see Microsoft and Sony moving in for a kill in the future... especially if they keep releasing under-powered hardware.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 11:38:51 pm by Relakuyae »

Offline Nagase

• Young Tree
Re: E3 !!
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 02:42:51 pm »
I only saw part of Nintendos press conference (epic Zelda orchestra btw) and I'm not really that impressed by Wii U... it will probably end up selling well but no way is it gonna be as groundbreaking as the wii was. No clue what the other 2 have in store for us but I hear Sony's lineup is the best out of all.

<3 Lights!